A Baptist meeting house was completed in 1775, in Providence, Rhode Island. Its construction was greatly aided by the actions of the British, who closed the port of Boston as punishment for the Boston Tea Party. Many shipwrights and carpenters had no work and came to Providence to help build the meeting house. The 185-foot steeple was added shortly after the building's dedication. It has survived the test of time and hurricanes since then. A grand chandelier from Waterford, Ireland, was added in 1792. The meeting house has undergone many changes in the years, and it is considered to be one of the "must see" places in Providence for anyone interested in American architecture.