The Lockwood-Mathews Mansion Museum is a 19th-century structure that was converted into a museum in the 1950s. Located in Norwalk, Connecticut, it is one of the earliest and finest examples of French Renaissance Revival architecture that exists in United States. The mansion is considered to be a valuable resource of 19th-century American history and was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1971. The 62-room mansion was built by millionaire Le Grand Lockwood in 1868. His financial reversals in 1869 and his untimely demise in 1872 resulted in losing Elm Park — his estate — through foreclosure in 1874. The Connecticut property and mansion was sold to Charles D. Mathews, an importer from New York. He and his family stayed there until 1938. In 1941, the entire property was sold to the City of Norwalk and was made a public park. The mansion faced threats of demolition in 1950s but was eventually saved by the concerted efforts of local preservationists and activists. Subsequently, the Lockwood-Mathews Mansion Museum, Inc., was formed with an aim to conserve the building and educate the public on the material, artistic, and social culture of the Victorian era. During the season, music, live performances, and exhibitions fill the mansion. It extends the use of the facility to member corporations, businesses, and non-profit organizations. Lockwood-Mathews Mansion Museum is easily accessible through Metro North Railroad.