About Quizzes

The Thornton House

Built about 1896 for Charles E. Taylor, a white “traveling agent” for a local hardware company, the house at 1420 W. 15th St. in Little Rock’s Centennial Addition became the residence of Dr. and Mrs. John G. Thornton around 1906. The original one-story cottage underwent two significant catharses before reaching its current two-story, predominantly American Foursquare configuration. Initially, the 1896 era cottage had a gable-front and wing plan with an ell extending to the rear at right angles off the wing; a small front porch was confined within the “L” formed by the gable and wing. As a leader in the black community, Dr. Thornton held numerous positions and received many honors. Dr. Thornton also was active in efforts to re-establish African-Americans as a force in the Republican Party, taking part in a bold attempt to force White Republicans to recognize black delegates to the 1920 Pulaski County Republican Convention. Dr. Thornton’s success enabled him to enlarge and update his home twice, first around 1906, when the floor plan was expanded and stylish Colonial Revival decorative details were added, and again around 1920, when a second story was built to create a then-popular American Foursquare with Craftsman-style details. Dr. Thornton lived for more than 50 years at 1420 W. 15th St. and died at the age of 84 in 1957. The Thornton House was finally listed in National Register of Historic Places on May 28, 1999