Lewis-Clark State College was born in the pioneer era, which was deeply rooted in the spirit of discovery and exploration that sent captains Meriwether Lewis and William Clark through uncharted territory in 1804. The college adopted the theme of Tradition, Discovery and Innovation to celebrate its centennial in 1993, a reflection on the past, present and future. In 1893 the Idaho Legislature created a normal school in name, but failed to appropriate state funds to provide it with a permanent home. The City of Lewiston donated 10 acres on a barren, sandy hill to become the home to the new college. This soon became known as "Normal Hill." While carpenters and masons were busy laboring on the hill above them, 46 students gathered in a private home to become the first class of Lewiston State Normal School on January 6, 1896. Six months later, the building was complete. It is the oldest one still used the in the state's higher education system. In 1947, the state legislature changed the institution's name to Northern Idaho College of Education. In 1965 the State Board of Education approved a four-year curriculum in education and liberal arts and established Lewis-Clark State College as one of its six postsecondary vocational schools. Today, the college offers liberal arts and sciences, professional programs in education, nursing, business and criminal justice, and technical programs. The School of Technology was granted authority in 1993 to introduce four-year baccalaureate degree programs in technology — the Bachelor's of Applied Technology and Bachelor's of Applied Science — reflecting growing demands for a highly skilled technical workforce.