The city of Alhambra is in Los Angeles County, bordered by the city of Los Angeles on its west. The San Bernardino Freeway crosses Alhambra.
The site for Alhambra consists of land purchased in 1874 by Benjamin D. Wilson, who paid just $2.50 per acre. Washington Irving's book, The Alhambra, inspired two of Wilson's daughters to select the name. Alhambra was one of the first areas in southern California to provide water, brought through iron pipes, to each building lot.