The house was built in 1834 by James Craik, a lawyer and farmer, and was named Elm Grove. Craik also served as the fourth rector of St. John's Episcopal Church in Charleston. Following a call from Christ Church in Louisville, he moved there with his family. In 1858, Colonel George Smith Patton* and his family purchased Elm Grove for $2,900, from a person who was residing there after Craik’s transfer to Louisville. Patton organized and led the Kanawha Riflemen in the Confederate Army during the Civil War. He was wounded in action and died later in Winchester, Virginia, in 1884.
The Craik-Patton House is an authentic slice of history from Civil War days. During that time the 36th Virginia Volunteer Infantry was encamped in the house.
The Confederate occupation of Charleston took place then, and the 36th had to face numerous skirmishes as part of their orders to liberate the Kanawha River valley.
The Craik-Patton house has been carefully restored and authentically furnished by the National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the State of West Virginia.
A collection of Civil War-era portraits and photos by Deanna Abbott also are exhibited in the house.