Carnegie Science Center, one of the four Carnegie Museums of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, is located on the city's North Shore. Established in 1991, the center encourages the residents of Pittsburgh and the Tri-State region to develop their science literacy and participation in science and technology. It is the first science education center for students, teachers, and the general public in southwestern Pennsylvania. Led by Director Joanna E. Haas, Carnegie Science Center was formed by the merger of the Carnegie Institute and Buhl Science Center, formerly Buhl Planetarium and Institute of Popular Science, opened in 1939 by Henry Buhl. The science center features the Rangos Omnimax Theater, a World War II submarine, ecological station, Henry Buhl Jr. Planetarium, Miniature Railroad and Village, Highmark Science Stage, and more than 300 active exhibits. The center also conducts a wide range of theater presentations, demonstrations, classes and workshops, and special events. Carnegie Science Center fosters connections with area universities, school districts and businesses.