Whatcom Falls Park is located in Bellingham, Washington, where a cascading waterfalls is its centerpiece. Other attractions include a fish hatchery, an extensive trails system, tennis and basketball courts, and a special zone for aquatic adventurers. Whatcom Falls Park spreads over a 241-acre tract of land in Washington State. Meandering among the trees and shrubs is the Whatcom Creek, which plunges to form the main waterfall. One of the major attractions for visitors is the Chuckanut sandstone bridge, which was built in 1939. A spectacular view of the Whatcom Falls may be found there. Another interesting spot is “the Whirlpool,” where swimmers can leap from a 60-foot cliff into the cold waters below. The fishing pond is mostly frequented by children, most of them less than 12 years old. The eastern portion of the park is reserved for the multi-purpose fields, tennis courts, playgrounds, basketball court, and a fish hatchery. The fish hatchery serves as an educational site, with instructive signboards. There are also separate picnic areas. Whatcom Falls Park was established in 1908 by the Young Men's Commercial Club. Initially about forty acres were purchased from the E.B. Young Estate. The necessary funds were received from individuals and industrialists. The club built trails and a playground in the park. The park’s ownership was transferred to the City of Bellingham in 1914, although only half of them were paid to the club. At about the same time, a group of women formed the Whatcom Falls Park Club. The club constructed the wooden bridges, picnic shelters, and supervised the planting of flowering plants and shrubs. A major achievement of the club was the purchase of a large piece of land adjoining the park. The purchase facilitated the connection of the park with the streetcar line, making the park more accessible to the public. Further improvements were made through private funds. The park was completely purchased by the city and merged with the city park system during the 1930s. The fish hatchery was built in 1936 using federal funds, and additional help was received from the State Game Commission and the Whatcom County Sportsmen's Association. In 1939, The New Deal Work's Progress Administration transferred the sandstone arches from the Pike Building to the park and built a stone bridge, which continues to be a major attraction there.