Bowling Green State University

History

Historical Timelines
Chronological Eras
Information Tables
General Interest Maps
Glossary
History Quizzes

nav

Travel and History Blog


Follow OregonCoastMag on Twitter

Share

Bowling Green State University, located in Bowling Green, Ohio, is a public university which combines the personal atmosphere of a small college with the opportunities of a major university.

Opening in 1910 as a teacher-training institution, Bowling Green State University held its first classes in 1914. Over the years, the institution added new programs and attained the status of a university, in 1935.

The colleges under the university umbrella include the College of Education and the College of Liberal Arts (added in 1929), the College of Business Administration and Graduate Programs (1935), the Graduate School (1947), and the College of Health and Human Services (1973).

The university started its extension programs in 1946, at Sandusky, Ohio, and also established a regional campus, in 1965.

Today, Bowling Green State University offers more than 200 undergraduate majors and programs through the College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Education and Human Development, the College of Musical Arts, the College of Technology, and the regional BGSU Firelands in Huron, Ohio.

In addition, the university’s graduate college awards 66 master's degrees, two specialist degree programs, and oversees 16 doctoral programs.

The university’s library system is inclusive of a music library and sound recordings archives, the Popular Culture Library, a curriculum resource center, and a center for archival collections. These libraries are connected with the resources of all major colleges and universities in Ohio and can locate materials worldwide.